Monday, May 24, 2010

I started....

I started to write more about our time in Denver and post many pictures of the fun and mayhem.  But then I saw a message on Twitter from one of my favorite bloggers.  I have been reading her blogs on Babble and her personal blog for a couple of years.  She recently "confessed" that her 18 year old son has been suffering from a severe drug problem for a couple of years and after a year in rehab, he relapsed.  About a month ago he was in the middle of what is thought to be a drug deal and he was attacked and left for dead.  Her story is heart breaking and there are no words to describe how sad and helpless I feel when reading about her son.

In no way can I imagine the pain of watching your child become a drug addict and then struggling for life because of the addiction.  The guilt, the anger and the grief has to be overwhelming.  I look at James and Lilly know that Jeff and I are not immune to them making bad choices that could lead to such a horrific state of affairs.  I hope and pray that we can be good enough parents who help them make the right choices.  But what if we fail?  What can we do to ensure this doesn't happen to us?  These questions are unanswerable.  We will just continue to do our best.  For now, I will pray for Katie and her family.  Pray for healing and peace. 

My babies....

James...
On a scooter...

Lilly....
Loves the monkey bars...


happymommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you all so much - so happy to see the kids doing some of their favorite things. lilly and
the monkey bars and james and the scooter. how fun is all of this.
it looks like everyone has had a great time, weather has been good and family and friends so happy to have you in Denver. All good things!

Anonymous said...

Look at those kids go. Wow, Lilly is amazing on those bars. Sad about your friend. And there is no immunization against bad decisions. We have to trust the Biblical admonition, "raise a child up in the way you would have them go and when they are old, they will not depart from it."