Monday, January 18, 2010

The storm it is a' comin'...

The rains have arrived. Ok, the winds have arrived with a few rains, but I sense many more drops in our future. It was supposed to start on Saturday, but as of now, we have been spared any big rains. This will change I am sure. My deep understanding of everything meteorology is key here. Or rather I listen to the weatherman on channel 2, and this is what he said. I believe him. Maybe.

Since the weather is so frightful, I decided to break out my new, beautiful dutch oven (Thanks Grandma Linda!) and make homemade Chicken Noodle soup. This need to cook said soup all started Saturday when I watched America's Test Kitchen. They claimed you could use canned stock with a few additions to make great Chicken Noodle Soup. I trust ATK as they know everything when it comes to cooking. I mean Chris Kimball wears a bow-tie for goodness sakes. Remember Paul Simon? He too wore a bow-tie. He didn't become our president but he knew a lot of things. However, I digress.

My point is, you CAN make great chicken noodle soup without having to make homemade chicken stock. It does take a little extra work. Yes, it is harder than opening a can of Progresso, but it was worth it. Jeff and Lilly said so. Or at least they knew to agree with me when I said it! James would have agreed, but he likes to eat ketchup with his hands and then put the ketchup in his ear, so we don't listen to his critiques of my cooking.


My Beautiful New Dutch Oven



Doctored Up Canned Chicken Stock

And Voila...

OK, it did take four hours but this was of my own making. Totally not ATK's fault.

Keep Warm, Safe and Dry My Friends

And, for those readers of mine who are going to Hawaii: HAVE FUN! RELAX! ENJOY YOUR FAMILY, THE SUNSHINE AND FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS SACRED, PLEASE STAY HEALTHY! This one's for you!


And please continue to do good will and donate and pray and hope for a new beginning for Haiti!



Support Doctors Without Borders in Haiti



happymommy

No comments: